Translate this page :

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server @ VPC 2004

Just tried installing Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server (Dapper Drake) on Virtual PC 2004, and the installation screen was messed up. It shown only a portion of the installation screen.
Here’s how to fix it:

1. When booting up from the CD, you’ll see a menu. Press ESC there, where it’ll tell you that you’re about to switch to text-mode. Choose OK

2. You’ll see a prompt like this : boot:

3. To continue, just type this: install debian-installer/framebuffer=false

4. Press Enter, and the screen should show up OK on VirtualPC 2004.

So far so good. Hope it helps.

note: Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server doesn’t install a GUI desktop (gnome/kde). If you need it, just type : sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
(need internet access and properly set-up /etc/apt/sources.list file)

12 Responses to “Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server @ VPC 2004

• 1
    Bart Decroix
    July 25th, 2006 16:19

Hello,

I did the same thing in a different way. When booting from cd you can press F4 to change the resolution. Instead of VGA, I did choose 640x480x32.

So far so good, the installation went fine, but when the installation was done and the system booted for the first time the resolution was again in VGA mode.

I googled a bit, but every body is talking about editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but this file is not on my system because it’s a server without a desktop manager. How can I resolve this?

• 2
    Bart Decroix
    July 26th, 2006 14:03

Hello,

I just did a reinstall with command in your post and everything is working fine now, even after the reboot when the system is booting from the virtual HD.

Thx a lot for this great tip!

Next thing to try: Daisy (http://cocoondev.org/daisy/index.html)

Bart

• 3
    harry
    July 27th, 2006 02:01

Bart – sorry just managed to spot your comment now; well done.

Daisy looks pretty sweet indeed.

• 4
    Ahsya
    October 13th, 2006 23:52

How about installing Edubuntu 6.06.1 LTS (Dapper Drake) on VPC 2004? Well, actually I’m about to give it a shot on my wife’s notebook. Why on VPC? Euhm… as I said before, this is my wife’s notebook 😀

Let you know the result soon, hopefully…

• 5
    Javier
    August 30th, 2007 22:12

If you have already installed Ubuntu in server mode, here is how to fix the video problem without going through the reinstall:
    1. Reboot
    2. On the grub prompt, hit Esc
    3. Choose recovery mode boot
    4. When you have access to the CLI, go to /boot/grub and edit menu.lst
    5. Look for the default entry and remove from the kernel line the “splash” word
    6. Save, reboot and enjoy.

• 6
    eva
    April 26th, 2008 17:37

Finally gotten it all right, reading from the discussions. Thanks heaps people!

• 7
    CCTV DVR
    October 13th, 2010 09:08

Ubuntu is really great! I’ve totally replaced windows.

• 8
    adult vod
    July 16th, 2011 20:46

Ubunti is good, much better than windows!

• 9
    Latest Information about Soccer
    July 18th, 2011 16:47

Wah.. emang bagus kayanya, bisa dicoba… trims

• 10
    haberler
    July 27th, 2011 20:34

offfffffff ulen offffffffffff

• 11
    Pictures and Wallpapers
    August 24th, 2011 13:35

Useful information post. Thanks for sharing this post.

• 12
    ota dvr
    November 12th, 2011 00:30

ota dvr…

[…]harry.sufehmi.com » Blog Archive » Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server @ VPC 2004[…]…